Good Shepherd Parish was founded on May 2, 1993, by Archbishop Daniel M. Buechlein, OSB. The parish is a consolidation of the parish families of St. Catherine of Siena and St. James the Greater and was founded at the request of the parish councils from these two communities. And so our history really begins with the histories of these two communities. St. Catherine of Siena was founded in 1909 by Bishop Francis Silas Chatard at the request of five local southside men. These men saw a need for a new parish in what was then a rural area of a growing city. Reverend Cornelius Otto Bosler was appointed the first pastor of the parish. St. Catherine Church was dedicated in 1910 with expansions in 1922 and 1926. St. James the Greater Parish was founded in 1951 just seven blocks from St. Catherine. Once again, this parish was established to serve a growing population on the southside of Indianapolis. Archbishop Paul C. Schulte established the parish and named Reverend Cornelius B. Sweeney as pastor. Father Sweeney, however, developed health problems which forced him to resign his position soon after his appointment. Reverend John R. Betz was appointed as the second pastor in 1952 and in May of that same year the Church was dedicated. St. James School (which now houses Central Catholic School) was dedicated in 1953.